The official spelling of the firm's name was Unger Bros. They had both a factory and salesroom located in Newark, NJ. The firm advertised as manufacturing jewelers, silversmiths and glass cutters.
Sterling silver bears a stamped circle surrounding a combination trademark and hallmark with the interlaced U and B, plus the words and numbers STERLING 925 FINE. Cut glass with sterling tops bore a trademark on the glass and a trademark/hallmark combination on the silver.
In 1880 Eugene Unger and Emma Dickinson married, and her brother, Philemon, joined and eventually became the leading artistic designer at the firm. Philemon developed the extensive line of beautiful repousse Art Nouveau items which became the company's signature designs. Two additional designers employed by Unger Bros. were Otto Leigh and Edward P. Beach. The three men created patents registered by Unger Bros.
Unger Bros. molds and dies judged too worn to meet the firm's standards sometimes were sold to other companies which used them to make jewelry. Therefore, Unger Bros. Sterling silver patterns lacking trademarks probably were not manufactured by the Unger firm.
Unger Bros. was one of the most creative and premier manufacturers of Art Nouveau sterling silver items in the United States. The company's most popular lines were dresser sets (toilet sets) decorated with fantastic Art Nouveau designs incorporating flowers, heads of women with flowing tresses, ocean waves and/or seashells. Such articles were often ten piece sets, which included cut glass hair receiver, powder, rouge and glove boxes, decorated with repousse silver lids, sterling silver hatpin holders and vase, hand mirror, comb, brushes, shoe horn and button hook. Many attractive patterns were available, with exotic names such as Le Secrete des Fleurs, Reine des Fleurs, Dawn, Love's Dream, Evangeline, Bride of the Wave and Stolen Kiss.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.