Charles Schlein was a painter and sculptor born in Satanov, Russia on April 5, 1899. He emigrated to the US in 1910 at the age of 11 with his siblings and his mother. He attended and graduated from the National Academy of the Arts on 57th Street in New York City. While there he studied under Kroll, Hawthorne, and other artists of the Ashcan School. Charles met his wife Gerry at the time he set up his first studio in New York City where he showed his work.
Charles and Gerry travelled to Europe during the late 1920s and lived in Paris 1928-1929. Charles had a one-man exhibition at the Bernheim Jeune Gallery in May, 1929. Just four years earlier, the Bernheim Jeune gallery had a group exhibit for some of the world’s most well-known artists including Cezanne, Seurat, Gauguin, Matisse, Vlaminck, Modigliani and Renoir (http://www.bernheim-jeune.com/)
Charles returned to New York during the Depression and taught art for the WPA.
Charles moved to Los Angeles in 1938 when he got a job offer as a commercial artist for a motion picture studio. Charles painted movie advertisements for motion picture studios and over the years had many exhibits in various galleries. He also gave sculpting and painting lessons from his own studio after the end of World War II. In 1940, their son Steven was born.
Charles died in Los Angeles on Dec. 6, 1988.
Exh: LA County Fair, 1933, 1948; Hollywood Art Center, 1933; House of Pictures (LA), 1933; Public Works of Art Project, So. Calif., 1934; Calif. Art Club, 1938; Assistance League (LA), 1938; Raymond & Raymond Gallery (LA), 1947; Fraymart Gallery (LA), 1951; Landau Gallery (LA), 1951; Ivory Tower Gallery (LA), 1960.